Looking north on Pearl Street under the large evergreen arch located in the center of the intersection of Pearl Street and Fourth Avenue, the Davidson Building can be seen on the right and the Cadwell-Olympic Building on the left. The large evergreen arch was built by community and fraternal organizations to celebrate the returning Ellensburg troops from the Spanish-American War. Newspaper headlines in the November 11, 1899 local paper read, " Warm Welcome to the 'Fighting Devils.' Kittitas receives her returning soldiers with the most elaborate demonstration in local history and the people go wild in bidding them welcome. All features of the celebration were grand and 'The Boys' were deeply touched by it."
"Celebration Under Evergreen Arch" (1899). Ellensburg History Photographs. 105.
Local History Collection Photographs, Ellensburg Public Library
Ellensburg (Wash.) -- Streets, Historic, Historic streets -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg, Streets -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg, City & town life -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg, Commercial streets -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg, Fourth Street (Ellensburg, Wash.), Ben Snipes Bank (Ellensburg, Wash.), Geddis Building (Ellensburg, Wash.), Pearl Street (Ellensburg, Wash.), Cadwell - Olympic Building (Ellensburg, Wash.), Veterans -- Rites & ceremonies -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg