North Pacific History Company, Portland, Oregon
The Reed House, a large two story wood frame structure, was built in the newly created town of Cle Elum, Washington Territory in 1887. Walter J. Reed (1842-1908) established the community of Cle Elum as the Northern Pacific Railroad reached the eastern slopes of the Cascade Mountains in 1886 and constructed the "commodious hotel" which furnished housing for railroad employees and early residents. Reed, more than any other man, is credited for developing the coal fields in northern Kittitas County.Double fold out illustration between pages 634 & 635. Vol. II. History of the Pacific Northwest: Oregon and Washington. 1889. North Pacific History Company. Original 8" x 11 ½" b/w lithograph titled "Reed House, Cle-Ellum, W.T."
"Reed House, Cle Elum" (1889). Ellensburg History Photographs. 215.
Local History Collection Photographs, Ellensburg Public Library
Kittitas County (Wash.) -- Buildings, Historic, Historic buildings -- Washington (State) -- Kittitas County, Reed House (Cle Elum, Wash.), Hotels -- Washington (State) -- Cle Elum, Reed, Walter J., 1842-1908