The Horton Hotel was planned by its builders to be the greatest convention center and hostelry in the Northwest. The hotel site on the southwest corner of Sixth and Pearl Streets was donated by George Elliott. The structure was built by two Kansans, John Moffett and W. M. Dignon. The cost of the structure was $55,000 and the citizens of Ellensburg contributed $5,000 of the cost to show their support. The promoters billed the new 95 room structure as being heated by steam and lighted by electricity. The hotel was in the final stages of construction when the July 4th 1889 fire swept through the city leaving the "new palace" unscathed. The hotel was officially completed in 1890. The Horton was later named the Antlers Hotel and was completely destroyed by fire in October 1967.
"Horton Hotel" (1889). Ellensburg History Photographs. 238.
Local History Collection Photographs, Ellensburg Public Library
Historic buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg, Ellensburg (Washington) -- Buildings, Historic, Horton Hotel (Ellensburg, Wash.), Antlers Hotel (Ellensburg, Wash.), Hotels -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg, Hotel Horton (Ellensburg, Wash.)