In July 1879, a group of Ellensburg residents organized a Presbyterian Church. Rev, James A. Laurie, minister from 1884 to 1889, established the Ellensburg Presbyterian Academy for local children. Ten lots in Block 39 of Shoudy's First Addition were acquired for $1,300 on which was located the old Presbyterian Church. The Academy was located on the south end of the block between Sprague and Anderson Streets and Fifth and Sixth Avenues. Rev. Laurie with the help of church members constructed a two story building, 35 x 70 feet. One room of the academy was used for church services until 1898. When the Washington Territory became a state in 1889, money became available to public schools in Ellensburg. The Ellensburg Academy discontinued as a school in 1889 when the building was moved to the north end of the block. A large sanctuary was added to the old academy building to become the First Presbyterian Church.Artist drawing for a Northwest magazine or newspaper.
"Ellensburg Presbyterian Academy" (1887). Ellensburg History Photographs. 67.
Local History Collection Photographs, Ellensburg Public Library
Ellensburg (Wash.) -- Buildings, Historic, Historic buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg, Ellensburg Presbyterian Academy (Ellensburg, Wash.), Presbyterian Church (Ellensburg, Wash.), School buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg