In 1913 the Ellensburg Water Company was changed to an irrigation district and many of the wooden canals and ditches were replaced with steel flumes. At this time the irrigation district entered into a contract with the United States government for water supplies to be stored. The cement pumping station located about 6 miles west of Ellensburg was used to pump and regulate water flow. Fred M. Carter was the city engineer and water department superintendent.Photograph titled: "City Pumping Station Ellensburg, Wash. 1913." original photograph in Mary Mire's photo album at the Kittitas County Historical Society Museum.
Mires, Mary Rowland, "Ellensburg Pumping Station" (1913). Ellensburg History Photographs. 150.
Local History Collection Photographs, Ellensburg Public Library
Historic buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg, Ellensburg (Washington) -- Buildings, Historic, Ellensburg Water Company (Wash.), Ellensburg Pumping Station (Wash.), City Pumping Station (Ellensburg, Wash.), Carter, Fred M.