West Shore Print (magazine), Portland, Oregon, and Spokane Falls, Washington
One of the brick buildings in construction in downtown Ellensburg before the fire of July 4th 1889, was the Davidson Building on the northeast corner of Fourth and Pearl Streets. Designed by J. B. Randal and built by John B. Davidson, Ellensburg attorney, the building cost $42,000 to construct. The two story, 90 x 120 foot building was constructed of brick shipped from Chicago. Completed in January 1890, a large phoenix was placed on the Fourth Street side of the building and has since been often called the Phoenix Building. Businesses have always occupied the ground floor and various hotels have been located in the second story. The G. R. Stewart Building can be seen at the far left.A supplement to West Shore (magazine) commissioned by Leonhard & Ross of Ellensburgh, Washington. A 24 1/2" x 34 1/2" poster of the Ellensburgh building built or being built after the July 4th 1889 fire. Twenty-six buildings or blocks illustrated. Reverse side contained two full pages of information about Ellensburg and the Kittitas Valley. F. Leonhard and P. H. W. Ross Real Estate advertisement.
"Davidson Block" (1889). Ellensburg History Photographs. 220.
Local History Collection Photographs, Ellensburg Public Library
Historic buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg, Ellensburg (Washington) -- Buildings, Historic, Davidson Block (Ellensburg, Wash.), Davidson Building (Ellensburg, Wash.), Phoenix Building (Ellensburg, Wash.), Commercial buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg, Davidson, John B.