With the discovery of coal in the foothills around Cle Elum in 1884 and the construction of the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1886, many miners, farmers and lumbermen had already established a thriving community when Walter Reed plotted 60 acres of land and named the town Cle Elum, the Indian word meaning "swift waters." Looking east on First Street from the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue, two of Cle Elum's major streets, many brick and wooden structures can be seen. The Central Annex built in 1909 on the southeast corner was an addition to the Central Hotel to the right of the annex. August Sasse was the manager of the hotel complex.Postcard titled, "First St. Looking East from Penn. Ave. Cle Elum, Wash. Frasher, Photo. 740."
"First Street, Cle Elum" (1910). Ellensburg History Photographs. 88.
Local History Collection Photographs, Ellensburg Public Library
Kittitas Co. (Wash.) -- Streets, Historic, Historic streets -- Washington (State) -- Cle Elum, Streets -- Washington (State) -- Cle Elum, First Street (Cle Elum, Wash.), The Central Annex (Cle Elum, Wash.), Central Hotel (Cle Elum, Wash.), City and town life -- Washington (State) -- Cle Elum, Commercial streets -- Washington (State) -- Cle Elum