John Allen (Al) Nicholson lived in Liberty, Washington from the late 1890s until the 1950s. He had a mining claim on what is now the heliport where he had a house with pasture for his cattle and horses. The house stood on the spot the Forest Service trailer now stands. He also homesteaded 160 acres on Lion Gulch three miles above Liberty. He received patent to the homestead property in 1915. The property was purchased by Al Eberhard about 1960 and divided into lots for vacation homes. It is now known as Liberty Mountain. Al Nicholson was a miner, a dairyman, a storekeeper (with his brother Clarence), a homesteader and a very good amateur photographer. These photographs were scanned by Wes Engstrom and previously distributed to his friends on CDROM.