Barge Hall, named after the school's first president Benjamin Barge, was the first building of the Washington State Normal School built on the campus grounds. Located on the north side of 8th Avenue between D and E Streets, Barge Hall was the only facility for the entire school. The Training School on D street was built in 1908 and stood behind Barge Hall. The named was changed to Edison Hall in 1917 but it continued as an elementary school are selected area children and for preparing normal school students to become teachers. In 1939 an new college elementary school was built and Edison Hall became the school's music building.Postcard Titled: "Washington State Normal, Ellensburg, Wash." Postmarked February 5, 1913. Handwritten penciled note addressed to Mrs. C. J. Walker, Park Hotel, Tacoma, Wash. Note to Minnie from Your loving sister Cora.
"Barge Hall Washington State Normal School VIII" (1909). Ellensburg History Photographs. 78.
Local History Collection Photographs, Ellensburg Public Library
Ellensburg (Wash.) -- Buildings, Historic, Historic buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg, Central Washington University (Ellensburg, Wash.), Barge Hall, Central Washington University (Ellensburg, Wash.), State Normal School (Ellensburg, Wash.), Training School, Central Washington University (Ellensburg, Wash.), Edison Hall, Central Washington University (Ellensburg, Wash.)