Mental Budgeting and Charitable Giving: Matching Motives with Budgets to Maximize Giving

Document Type

Conference Proceeding

Department or Administrative Unit


Publication Date



For the second straight year, American corporations, foundations and individuals donated over $300 million in charitable gifts (Wasley 2009). In Canada, fundraising continues to reach record levels. According to the 2007 Canadian Survey of Giving, Volunteering and Participating (CSGVP), Canadians donated $10 billion, a 12% increase in donations over the previous survey conducted in 2004 (Hall et al. 2009), while 84% of adult Canadians reported making a financial, charitable contribution during the year. Other data is not as positive. The average number of gifts Canadian donors made in 2007 fell to 3.8 annually from 4.3 gifts in 2004. Additionally only 25% of Canadians donated more than $364 a year to charitable organizations. The remaining 75% donate, on average, less than one half of one percent of their income to charity. In the U.S., the number of new donors has fallen by 13.8% (Hall 2009). Thus, while fundraising continues to grow in both participation and donation magnitude, there appears to be a significant amount of unrealized potential for nonprofit organizations to increase fundraising.


This article was originally published in Proceedings of the 2010 Academy of Marketing Science (AMS) Annual Conference. The full-text article from the publisher can be found here.

Due to copyright restrictions, this article is not available for free download from ScholarWorks @ CWU.


Proceedings of the 2010 Academy of Marketing Science (AMS) Annual Conference


© Academy of Marketing Science 2015