The town of Ronald was created when No. 3 mine was opened for coal mining in the late 1880s. Named after Alexander Ronald, Superintendent of the Northwestern Improvement Company. Miners and their families built homes on the company's land near the mine. In the early years, Ronald supported eleven businesses which supplied the families with necessary goods. The school opened in May 1890 with 49 pupils. Ronald is located two miles west of Roslyn.Original photograph labeled "Ronald - looking west from #2 & #3 Mines."
"Ronald, Washington II" (1915). Ellensburg History Photographs. 133.
Local History Collection Photographs, Ellensburg Public Library
Kittitas County (Wash.) -- Cityscapes, Historic districts -- Washington (State) -- Kittitas County, Cityscapes -- Washington (State) -- Kittitas County, Ronald (Wash.) -- Cityscapes, Mines and mining -- Washington (State) -- Ronald, Ronald, Alexander, Northwestern Improvement Company