The Elmira Building, built by W. W. Fish of Elmira, New York, was the first brick building completed after the fire of July 4th 1889. J. B. Love was the architect. High quality brick used in the building was from the first brick kilns fired by Craig & Crawford at City View Park. The building was later known as the Vanderbilt Block. The building is located on the north side of Forth between Pearl and Pine Streets. Hollis LeBaron Stowell (1846-1915) owned and operated the large general merchandise business called the New York Store. The second story of the building was used as a rooming or boarding house. H. L. Stowell is shown standing at corner of building with his son Charles Scudder Stowell on the left.
"The New York Store" (1900). Ellensburg History Photographs. 221.
Local History Collection Photographs, Ellensburg Public Library
Historic buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg, Ellensburg (Washington) -- Buildings, Historic, Elmira Building (Ellensburg, Wash.), Vanderbilt Block (Ellensburg, Wash.), Commercial buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg, New York Store (Ellensburg, Wash.), Stowell, Hollis LeBaron, Stowell, Charles Scudder, Fish, W. W.