The small farming community of Thorp, Washington was established in 1895 and as the population grew and rural school districts consolidated, the need for a larger school became necessary. The large, two-story Thorp School was built close to the center of town in 1895. It housed the entire Thorp school students, grades first through high school. In 1935 a brick elementary school was constructed and for the first time the elementary and secondary students were separated. The old Thorp School was demolished in 1957 and a modern Thorp High School was built in 1958.Postcard titled "Thorp School Building." Handwritten note to Mrs. Michael Hughes in Seattle, Wash. from Ellen Thomas.
"Thorp School Building" (1912). Ellensburg History Photographs. 42.
Local History Collection Photographs, Ellensburg Public Library
Kittitas County (Wash.) -- Buildings, Historic, Historic buildings -- Washington (State) -- Kittitas County, School buildings -- Washington (State) -- Thorp, Thorp School (Thorp, Washington)