Barge Hall constructed in 1893-1894 located on the north side of 8th Avenue between D and E Streets was the first building of the Washington State Normal School. This view of the southwest corner of the large four story brick building shows the main entrance and the 120' bell tower. Major structural damage to the bell tower during an earthquake in 1934 caused the tower to be removed in 1955. After an absence of almost 40 years a new, exact replica of the Barge Hall bell tower was added in 1992. Board sidewalks and unpaved streets surround the newly constructed Barge Hall. The wooden fence was eventually replaced with a low stone wall.
"Barge Hall Washington State Normal School VII" (1896). Ellensburg History Photographs. 59.
Local History Collection Photographs, Ellensburg Public Library
Ellensburg (Wash.) -- Buildings, Historic, Historic buildings -- Washington (State) -- Ellensburg, Central Washington University (Ellensburg, Wash.), Barge Hall, Central Washington University (Ellensburg, Wash.), State Normal School (Ellensburg, Wash.)