Lorraine (Poochie) Livero Interview
Suncadia (Resort), Suncadia Fund for Community Enhancement
Lorraine Livero talks about her parents, Alice Koch and Henry Richard, and their background in farming in the Swauk Creek area of Washington state. She talks about transportation and recreation in the Swauk, and about relocating to Cle Elum, where she lived with her husband, Dr. Livero. She talks about the medical history of Cle Elum and Cle Elum Hospital.
The cover image shows Cle Elum Hospital, circa 1909. The first two-story wooden frame hospital was destroyed by fire in July 1908. The land was donated to the miners and people of Cle Elum by Walter J. Reed. In 1909, a newer, larger brick hospital was rebuilt on the same site by contractors Don Perrow and Orb Barnett. Dr. Stimpson of Roslyn was the chief surgeon who was assisted by Drs. Kiehl and Newgard from Cle Elum and Drs. Phelp and Payne from Roslyn. The nurses' quarters were opened in the building in February of 1909.
Livero, Lorraine, "Lorraine (Poochie) Livero Interview" (2003). Roslyn, Cle Elum, and Ronald Oral History Interviews. 57.
Oral history, Immigrants--United States--20th century, Swauk Creek Watershed (Wash.), Medicine--Washington (State)--History
Educational use only; no other permissions given. Copyright to this resource is held by the content creator, author, artist or other entity, and is provided here for educational purposes only. It may not be reproduced or distributed in any format without written permission of the copyright owner.